Once again we welcome you to the pages of The Durnovarian. As one turns these pages there can be no doubt that the outstanding successes of the year have been gained by the two largest Societies, the Dramatic and Choral Societies. Undoubtedly the praise due to these groups comes largely as a result of hard work by the Master in charge. Mr. Bax accomplished the almost impossible in converting a play with a cast barely knowing their lines into a polished production in less than a fortnight. Mr. Tompsett overcame all opposition to the combined Hardye's and Dorchester County School for Girls' Choir, and, in spite of giggly girls and chattering boys managed to control the Society in such a way that all enjoyed themselves and gave of their best.
We are glad to report that one of the Societies of the "Good Old Days"—the Photographic Society—has been revived and is now nourishing under the keen and very able leadership of Mr. Gloag. Things bode well also for the Hardye Society, as a new system has come into force, whereby its meetings are held, at least in part, during School time. Many people are, however, still failing to take advantage of this concession and are treating the time allotted as just another 'free' period. During the course of the year a few enthusiasts clubbed together and formed a Record Society, and this precedent will, we hope, be followed and other new Societies formed. The Fencing Club is now under the direction of Mr. Lacey, and possibly the best thing we can wish him is that he may have as much success as did Mr. Alexander.
Academically, the G.C.E. results of this last year were the best for a long time. No less than twenty County Major Scholarships and three State Scholarships were won: J. A. Eades won an open Scholarship to Trinity College, Cambridge, H. M. Pain won a closed Scholarship to Queen's College, Oxford, R. J. Dawe gained admission to Fitzwilliam House, Cambridge, and R. J. Hallett to St. Peter's Hall, Oxford.
On the games field, too, the School acquitted itself well, but now, alas, many of the stars of yesteryear have departed- -among them Nickell, whose red head and cheerful leading are sorely missed on the rugger field.
We are still awaiting the new Science Wing and Assembly Hall but progress has, we hope, had more emphasis on the 'sure' than 'slow' and the general feeling is that a start is soon to be made. The C. H. Steemson memorial seats also seem to have slipped into significance, but no doubt behind the scenes work is going forward there also.
In conclusion, it is unfortunately necessary to mention that the articles for this Magazine this year have been even more difficult to
obtain than last year. Editing is fast becoming a task less like extracting molars, as was the case last year, than trying to pull out elephants'
tusks. This position tends to recur in every branch of Hardyean life. There is a small group of boys who are ready, if coaxed or coerced, to
make an effort tor the School, but there is a large section of the community who are not. Remember that it is not a hard-working Staff,
nor the efforts of a small core of enthusiasts, which makes a true School spirit. It is real personal endeavour from every pupil in that School.
The Headmaster, Staff and Boys were delighted to welcome Mr. Batty back again at the beginning of Summer Term after his illness. We take this opportunity of thanking him for all he did for the C.C.F., especially during his command of it, and for the very high state of efficiency in which he handed it over to Major Barrass, D.F.C.
At the end of Summer Term, the Headmaster, on behalf of himself and the Staff, asked Mr. Hale to accept a steel-shafted golf club as a token of our best wishes for continued success and happiness on taking up his new appointment as Headmaster of Athol School, Pinner, Middlesex. Mr. Hale joined the Staff in September 1937 as Master in charge of Botany and Biology. His War Service from 1939 to 1946 in the Royal Signals was recognised by the award of the M.B.E. In May 1947, he took charge of the Lower School, and under him "Wollaston" has certainly established itself and developed a tradition. After the War Mr. Hale also took over South Walks House from the Headmaster, Mr. R. W. Hill.
We shall miss him from our midst, for there were few School activities or interests where his voice was not heard. He will be especially remembered for his efforts and achievements in connection with Rugger, Sports, Golf, The Young Farmers' Club, and the construction of a swimming pool at South Walks House.
Mr. R. Rogers has left us to take a post-graduate course as a specialist teacher of Mathematics. In addition to his teaching and full share in games, he has done much in a quiet way to further other activities, especially in the R.A.F. Section of the C.C.F. in which he held a commission, and in managing Box Office and front-of-house business for the Dramatic Society. He was well-liked as a Form Master, congenial as a colleague and always willing to help.
We were sorry to have to say an revoir to M. Bertrand, our French Assistant, whose year of tenure had expired. Staff and boys soon recognised him as a pleasant and efficient friend who never ceased to widen his interests and the scope of his assistance while at Hardye's. He is succeeded by M. Boggio-Sola whom we welcome.
Mr. Roussel was able to be with us at Wollaston for the Summer Term, and with his Signal Section carried out in his usual conscientious way the duties in connection with the C.C.F. Camp which have come to be regarded over the years as his responsibility. During the Term he qualified for a Clasp to his Territorial Efficiency Decoration, on which we congratulate him. We are sorry that he has had to have a further period of absence, on medical advice, but we are very glad to know his convalescence is steady and gratifying.
Mr. J. L. Bagshawe had to give up at the end of the Summer Term his temporary appointment to the Language Staff, owing to ill-health. We found him a pleasant and congenial member of the Common Room. Mr. Lee has been appointed Master in charge of the Junior School. In recent years he has shared much of the administrative work with Mr. Hale, so the reins fall easily into his hands.
Mr. Lewendon has taken over South Walks House. Some of us remember the good work he formerly did there as Resident Tutor in the early '50s and we know he will not spare himself in the interests of his Boarders.
We welcome to the Staff :— Mr. J. D. L. Richards, M.A. (Cantab.) who joins us from New Zealand, where he studied Russian. He is Resident Tutor at Heathcote House.
Mr. J. B. Hawthorne, B.Sc. (London) who takes charge of the Biology-Botany Department.
Mr. D. C. Lacey, B.A. (London) to teach French at the Lower School and to be Resident Tutor at South Walks House.
Mr. W. F. Randle who has joined us temporarily to teach some Middle School Science, Maths, and English, and who is acting Form Master of Lower V.C.
Hardye's School suffered a great loss when Mr. Hale left us at the end of the Summer Term to go as Headmaster of Atholl School, Pinner. He will be particularly missed at the Lower School where he was Master-in-Charge for many years. Not only was he a fine disciplinarian but he also had the all-round welfare of every boy at heart. On the Rugger field he will be long remembered by past and present boys for his tremendous enthusiasm and his skill in training fine Rugger-players, several of whom reached University standard. South Walks has good cause to remember the many improvements which he effected during his Housemastership, in particular the swimming pool which he built with the boys' help. We wish him every success in his new sphere of duty.
Each generation of boys that has passed through the School since 1915 will cherish the memory of Duncan Stanley Lidbury. Our 1957 Magazine recorded his forty-two years of faithful service to School, Church and Town, and, although we knew of the severe illness he bore so patiently during the second year of his retirement, his sudden death in April came as a great shock to us all. All Saints' Church could hardly contain the large congregation at his funeral service when the Archdeacon of Sherborne spoke of his life and work.
At School he had taught various subjects and had taken an active part in many activities and interests, until, in an age of specialisation he became Head of the English Department. We can only say nullum docendi genus non tetigit, nullum quod tetigit non ornavit.
His part in the development of the School from its South Street days to its present status has been acknowledged by two Headmasters. Behind these labores varii there was always the unus amor — his love for the School.
Old Hardyeans and colleagues will remember him for his stirling personal qualities — his patience, sympathy, kindliness, his inherent sense of goodness and high ideals. To have worked with him and to have known him intimately has been a liberal education and a privilege known only to Hardyeans. We all offer Mrs. Lidbury our sincere sympathy in her great loss.
There are the following School Societies in the Lower School:—
Badminton. . . (Mr. Lacey)
Chess and Draughts .. (Mr. Saunders)
Gramophone . . (Mr. Lee)
Table Tennis . . (3rds, Lt.-Col. Faulkner)
...(2nds, Major Kenion)
Woodwork . . (Mr. Westlake)
With the exception of the Gramophone Club, these have been in existence for some time and they are enthusiastically run and are keenly supported.
The new sound equipment purchased out of Tuck Shop profits is proving a success, and music appreciation is beoming a regular feature of Junior School life.
Inter-House and Knock-Out Competitions have been held in Table Tennis, and a Shield was won by Treves, while Knight defeated Lancashire in a thrilling final.
In the Chess Competition Barrass was the winner with Moxom as runner-up.